November 6, 2014
2014 Day of Action
Join us on November 13th as we take a stand against sexual violence on campus in collaboration with other schools of the Pac-12! This year, six of the Pac-12 student governments have formed an initiative to actively oppose sexual violence on their campuses. On November 13th, each of these schools will be hosting a Day of Action to raise awareness and support students in standing against violence.
Day of Action Schedule
10:00-2:00, Informational Fair – HUB Street
From 10:00-2:00, we will be hosting a “Stand Against Sexual Violence” Fair in the HUB street (indoor walkway). The fair will include informational tables about resources and activist groups on campus, a banner to add your thoughts about opposing violence, and an anti-violence photo booth!
2:00-3:30, Breakout Sessions – HUB 131C
From 2:00-3:30 pm, we will be hosting five different breakout sessions for people to take action in the way that works best for them!
- In the Writer’s Corner, we will be collaborating to draft a letter to an elected official encouraging them to remain aware of an take action regarding sexual violence. For those who aren’t interested in working on the letter, this will also be a space for people to discuss and work on their own writing endeavors related to these subjects (such as blog posts, etc).
- In our Self-Care Session, we will provide some simple activities (think origami paper, markers, and embroidery thread!) for anyone who is looking for a quiet place to hang out and take a break.
- At our Chalking session, we will be working to create a single, large display on the sidewalk outside of the HUB (*please note that this session is weather-dependent!).
- In our Artist’s Corner, we will be providing a space and some basic materials for people to express their thoughts and feelings through art (please note that we have a limited amount of art supplies, so we encourage you to bring your own!).
- Finally, we will also be maintaining a table out in Red Square for those who are interested in discussing these topics with the broader UW community. Drop by to help spread informational materials and start conversations with other students!
Each of these sessions will be open for the full 90 minutes, so drop by when you can and feel free to attend more than one!
3:30-5:30, Discussion Series – HUB 334
We will wrap up the day with a series of 30 minute open discussions/presentations regarding sexual violence.
- From 3:30-4:00, we will be bringing in several activism-based groups on campus to explain what their organization does and how to get involved. This is a great opportunity to connect with awesome organizations on campus!
- From 4:00-4:30, we will be discussing bystander intervention as a means of preventing violence and becoming a resource within your own community. Attend to start gaining practical skills to stand against violence!
- From 4:30-5:00, we will be focusing on catcalling as a form of sexual violence. Join us as we discuss how catcalling is an example of this type of violence as well as some possible ways to oppose catcalling on campus.
- From 5:00-5:30, we will be wrapping up the day with an open discussion of sexual violence on campus and how to take a stand against it.
Drop by for as many of these discussions as you’d like, or stay for all four! Each of these sessions will last roughly 25 minutes and will be hosted in HUB 334.
To RSVP, visit our event page on Facebook!
We hope you will be able to join us to take a stand against sexual violence and participate in the 2014 Day of Action! If you have any questions or concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.