It’s On Us UW Campaign
What is It’s On Us?
It’s On Us is a national campus sexual assault awareness campaign. Launched by President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in 2014, It’s On Us tackles the issue of sexual assault heads-on by empowering college campuses to speak out, be active, and recognize that it is on all of us to prevent sexual assault and rape culture.
Why is It’s On Us coming to the UW campus?
College sexual assault is a pervasive problem in campuses across the nation– and the UW campus is no different. Because of the evidence, we know several key components to campus sexual assault
- The numbers don’t lie. 11.2% of all students–undergraduate and graduate of all genders–experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation.
- Sexual violence is more prevalent than other on-campus crimes.
- Not reporting sexual violence is common.
- Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Activists, Peer Health Educators, Green Dot, and Healthy Huskies recognize these facts–but we refuse to accept them. It’s On Us is being brought to the UW campus to empower survivors and activists alike in preventing sexual assault and creating a community truly resilient against sexual violence.
What is SARVA’s role with It’s On Us?
SARVA and our partners commit to bringing the It’s On Us message to the UW campus. To do this, we will:
- Implement awareness campaigning for the general public by setting up a space to take the pledge in Red Square
- Collaborate with campus communities (Greek, ASUW, RSOs etc.) in facilitating conversations surrounding sexual assault and what can be done to prevent it
- Engage the UW community in SARVA month by using the campaign to help raise awareness for our events.
- And more! What ideas do you have?
How can I help?
- Sign the official It’s On Us at the University of Washington pledge. (link coming soon!)
- Let us know if you’d like to work together.
- If you’re Greek: participate in Greeks Take Action.
- Come to It’s On Us and SARVA month events!
- Add It’s On Us photos, logos, and graphics to your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media profiles!
It’s On Us at the UW cannot happen without the much appreciated support and collaboration with the many different communities and organizations around campus:
… and you!